The objectives of this project are:
- To increase respect for the human rights of children deprived of liberty;
- To improve the implementation of international juvenile justice standards to protect the rights and needs of incarcerated children;
- To strengthen cooperation between EU member states in order to ensure the effectiveness of monitoring, inspections and complaint mechanisms available in places where children are deprived of liberty.
- Gather information and useful tools to promote adequate coordination and harmonization of practices between existing monitoring bodies and key actors (regionally, nationally and internationally), as well as to strengthen these mechanisms and foster synergies and cooperation;
- Provide common assessment criteria that will take into account the special rights and needs of children deprived of liberty;
- Provide practical tools and effective methods to prevent, identify and react to human rights violations of children within the framework of detention;
- Foster the acquisition of comparable information on the present state of the monitoring of child detention facilities as well as complaint mechanisms available to children deprived of liberty in 14 European member states.